If your employer is unaware of your current situation, then you should immediately obtain information about the organization’s policies for medical leave and substance use, Employee Assistance Programs and any other relevant policies. You can obtain this information from the human resources department. Follow the instructions described in the policies and seek assistance as needed.

If your employer has taken, or may take, disciplinary action because of a violation of the organization’s policies, then you should seriously consider seeking legal counsel. Be aware that depending on your circumstance, the employer may be required by law to report your workplace situation to the licensing board.

Many employment related issues are regulated through the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries. Find a wealth of helpful information and fact sheets on their website now >>

If you are covered under a collective bargaining agreement with Oregon Nurses Association (ONA), then contact your Labor Representative or call ONA at 503-293-0011.


  • Reach a trained recovery support professional ready to help you:

    NAN Response Line:

  • Find a recovery support group with other licensed professionals
    just like you:

    Find a Support Group

  • Join us for upcoming recovery support activities offered around the state of Oregon:

    Training Calendar